I first heard the term no-spend day a few years ago on some personal finance blog or other and although I was very taken with the idea I've never really managed to make a go of it. Whether it's a Käsebrötchen on the way to work when I haven't had time (or the inclination) for breakfast at home, a trip to the vending machine during the afternoon, stopping in to the supermarket on the way home to pick up one or two things (crisps far too often!) or even going out for lunch or for a drink after choir, it seems like there's always something to spend on, even if it's just a couple of euro. It's no wonder I'm always broke, really.
But this week has somehow or other just worked out and I've had two no-spend days. Have eaten breakfast at home, brought lunch to work as well as snacks so that I had no excuse to go near the vending machine. I wanted to say I'd had three no-spend days but then I remembered that on Monday when I picked up some curtains from Jane it was lashing rain so I ended up getting a taxi when I left there.
I met Jayne for lunch and some German grammar today but instead of going out we ordered pizza so even though that means I did spend 4.50, it's still only half what it would have cost if we'd gone out. We both want to work on our basic grammar but are both too good to be taken in most of the classes on offer and are sick of hearing how we "just need to practice". So we decided to both get the book that was recommended to me last year (and that I never managed to move past chapter one with on my own) and do exercises and swap copies every week to correct each other's stuff. Hopefully that'll get us somewhere anyway, my exam seems to be approaching very, very quickly! I took 20 euro out of the bank today and am thinking it would be great to make that last till the end of the weekend. It's the Irish Business Network barbeque on Sunday and between that and the quiz on Sunday night so it might not be possible. But I'm thinking of doing a proper meal-plan again this weekend, based on what I already have in so that I need to just buy one or two things at the market. So maybe I'll just about swing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment